Volunteers to run online meetings?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Volunteers to run online meetings?

Post by Heta K. Pukki on Tue 20 Sep 2016 - 11:04

This topic was kind of disappearing among the agenda related discussions, so I'm starting anew.

In a previous poll, and in online discussions, these people have volunteered to do the following tasks:

myself - secretary or voice channel transcriber
Roderik Plas - chair and/or tech support
Diederik Weve - chair or secretary
Jimmi Hansen - tech support
Minttu Aalto - tech support

Let me know if I have forgotten anyone, and any new candidates for these tasks, post your wishes and questions in this thread or discuss them in the next meeting.

Heta K. Pukki
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Volunteers to run online meetings?

Post by Roderik on Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 14:19

I won't be chairing today. Only minimal tech and minimal participation. I'm ill.
Roderik
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Heta K. Pukki on Tue 10 Jan 2017 - 19:36

I am having an extremely busy month, and need to avoid overload to the point of crashing. Those planning to attend the Jan 15 meeting, please consider volunteering to transcribe the voice channel and to take the minutes.
Heta K. Pukki
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kat Humble on Wed 29 Mar 2017 - 11:51

I'd be happy to chair any meetings that no one else wants to do. I have experience chairing meetings from Autistic UK.

Cheers, Kat Humble
Kat Humble

http://autisticuk.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh Hennessy on Sun 23 Jul 2017 - 17:09

I might be able to volunteer for some of these, but I need more info. Please would you post brief job descriptions for each one so I know what to do?

Josh Hennessy

Back to top Go down

Post by Heta K. Pukki on Sun 23 Jul 2017 - 17:18

@Josh Hennessy wrote:I might be able to volunteer for some of these, but I need more info. Please would you post brief job descriptions for each one so I know what to do?

Excellent, it would be good to have a couple of potential people for each job, at least, so we're not in trouble if one of the 'usual suspects' does not turn up. I'll get back to you in the next day or two.
Heta K. Pukki
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Heta K. Pukki on Mon 24 Jul 2017 - 15:47

Josh, and anyone else who may want to volunteer to run meetings and support others to participate: This forum and the online meetings have evolved freely, without anyone creating job descriptions at the beginning. We have gone through a few different ways of doing things. Practices and procedures are still open to change, nothing is set in stone.

The person chairing the online meeting generally announces when discussion on each agenda point starts, summarizes the decisions, initiates voting when necessary, and gives others turns to speak - either after they have requested a turn by typing "!" in the text channel, or by going through the participant list and asking everyone to comment. This is not always strictly enforced, there are brief exchanges between pairs of participants for example, but when a lot of people have something to say, it becomes important to keep things orderly. We had a couple of very chaotic meetings before this system was introduced.

If any participants were completely out of order and preventing others from having discussions, the chair could also kick them off the meeting channel - or ask a Discord server admin to do so - or possibly turn their output volume down (not sure about all the technical solutions available there), but nothing like that has been done.

The secretary copies the agenda from the forum to the online meeting channel, takes minutes and posts them on the forum, (preferably within a couple of days after the meeting), counts votes etc. It is also a good idea to keep an eye on people requesting turns, people arriving in the middle of the meeting and so on, and help the chair out if it gets too fast for one person to manage.

I did fairly detailed minutes at the beginning, but I suspect people don't really read those, so I have gone towards a fairly brief style, mentioning what was proposed, summarizing discussion only if it seems really relevant and necessary for everyone to see, and giving voting results. Since we don't have an actual organization yet, it is only a rough approximation of democratic voting, but it does often give a good idea of what the majority of EAN members want.

The tech support person can guide people to join the voice channel, mute and un-mute their mic, adjust their audio settings, or exit and re-enter to try to solve technical problems. I'm not very familiar with the whole range of possible tech support tasks.

Transcription is simply typing detailed summaries of the spoken discussion. That has been done in the past to allow people to participate even if they could not handle listening to spoken discussion, or if their audio connection failed completely. It has not been done every time, and since it's rather intense work, I would only recommend doing it if someone clearly needs it. Some transcripts from the earliest meetings have been posted on the forum, so you can take a look if you want an idea of what a transcript might look like. We did contemplate using sound-to-text software, but could not find anything usable.
Heta K. Pukki
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh Hennessy on Tue 25 Jul 2017 - 17:38

Thank you very much Heta. That's very helpful. It's less complicated than I thought it might be.

Josh Hennessy

Back to top Go down

Post by Joan McDonald on Mon 9 Oct 2017 - 12:35

I'm volunteering to act as secretary or transcriber at future online meetings when I can (not this one in Prague as I will be travelling while listening).

Joan McDonald

Back to top Go down

Post by Heta K. Pukki on Wed 25 Oct 2017 - 13:39

Joan, I'm very busy with some association work in Finland, becoming slightly overloaded, and I fear I would not perform very well as secretary. If you're attending on Sunday, it would be wonderful if you could take that task. There probably won't be any other volunteers.
Heta K. Pukki
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kat Humble on Wed 25 Oct 2017 - 14:27

I'm happy to chair if people are happy with that.
Kat Humble

http://autisticuk.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Joan McDonald on Wed 25 Oct 2017 - 23:34

I've a problem this time unfortunately - well actually a nice event. I'll be walking in Spain on Sunday and all week for school mid-term.
It's possible that I may get a place with good WiFi along the way but as am on a walking trip I can't depend on it. So unfortunately I can't commit to being secretary this time as even with good signal I can only take notes by hand without my laptop. I'm sorry about this as I'd like to make myself useful!
The other reason Id like to attend the meeting is to vote Jessica Doyle unto the forum. She has previously been active with a parent-run autism group for young people but is now very involved with our AP Facebook group and is organising one of our Meetups.
Sorry that I'm not in a position to be more helpful right now Heta.

Joan McDonald

Back to top Go down

Post by Damon.Matthew.Wise.Âû on Sat 28 Oct 2017 - 10:00

I already put forward Jessica Doyle before Prague, as she put her name forward as third female representative in NCPD A(A)CofI; it then rejected as unable to add attendance in Prague, but we are mindful that as admin of some of our Irish groups she already volunteered and put her name forward, and while rejected her being added to forum until after Prague, so we still waiting and has been like most of us, may have been regarded at some time the only token representative and director of parents lead autism and aspergers rather then service user, advocates, ands social and support groups run by us in the autistic spectrum, she has also very wide membership of our groups and organisations run by us in the spectrum.
It is thus a priority that for many of Irish groups she goes forward and takes a place one way or the other. She is like most a member NCPD A(A)CofI and AP... so we do not mind either way she goes forward. Ideally speaking we should have membership of EVERY local group run by and controlled by a majority of people in the spectrum, but the reality most of us are members of many organisations and have very broad overlapping members.
Damon.Matthew.Wise.Âû

Back to top Go down

Post by Joan McDonald on Sat 28 Oct 2017 - 10:43

Just to clarify. Autistic Paddies is a standalone group, not part of any Council. We are certainly making links ourselves with as many active autistic-run national groups we can find but are not currently aware of any run by or linked with Damon.
Jessica has indicated a wish to represent the Autistic Paddies on this forum too. I'm happy with this. The Autistic Paddies are still in no way formalised but are slowly heading that way with two Meetups under our belt and a social meeting with a formal part time determine our directory toon planned for November.
As I'm not sure of my signal coverage tomorrow I'm not sure what part I can take in the meeting. So please count the comments below as my vote for Jessica into the forum.
I commend Jessica (Jess) to the forum as part of the AP group. Should she choose to represent a different Irish group I still look forward to working with her as she is showing great initiative in bringing forward the autistic voice in Ireland.

Joan McDonald

Back to top Go down

Post by Joan McDonald on Sat 28 Oct 2017 - 10:47

Sorry for the typos which are becoming my trademark.....'formal part to determine our direction' is a loose translation of the gobbledegook above

Joan McDonald

Back to top Go down

Post by Damon.Matthew.Wise.Âû on Sat 28 Oct 2017 - 16:42

As I said.  She members of many groups, as are many of us.  She is welcome to represent us Nationally, and if she wants to and represent AP as well, if allowed, she represent both, if permitted.  Seeing as we already took her volunteering and proposed her before Prague here.  Our proposal to have her on the forum, one way or another; she is entitled to be here as member of many autism and autistic led and controlled groups (whether or not they are members of the Council is neither here nor there) as we support the rights and needs of representation and participation.

"
Re: Live meeting agenda
Post by Damon.Matthew.Wise.Âû on Sun 8 Oct - 16:44

We have another volunteer to the on-line access meeting; Jessica Doyle has been a member since 2012, and is member of 3 eligible independent social and support groups run by autistics in NCPD A (A) C of Ireland; These all with sufficient members; regular meetings and not just located on-line - her contact is :- She known to us from Autistic Social Group and (Psychology) from Trinity and DSAS (Trinity group) and women's' group - she also on various developing on-line autistic led groups and NCPD and she was also added as a co-admin by Ciaran in 2012 of one of our smaller Groups with myself, Ciaran and Karen. Her e-mail is :- doylej30@tcd.ie. She is based over the Dublin border in Maynooth, Co.Kildare.
"
Damon.Matthew.Wise.Âû

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top